The Collins Electric Co., Inc. is an electrical contracting
and design firm established in 1906 and in its fourth generation
of daily hands on management by members of the Collins family. For
more than 110 years the Collins Electric Company has been proud to
offer quality electrical services to the communities of Western
We are the largest employer of electrical tradespeople
in Western Massachusetts.
In commercial, industrial, and institutional settings,
Collins Electric has been a leader in designing and wiring office
buildings, hotels, manufacturing facilities, warehouses, shopping
centers, parking garages, hospitals, and educational facilities
of every size and dimension.
Our regular activities include providing services
for industrial plant moves, maintenance programs, energy management,
on-call services, power distribution analysis, service upgrades,
and providing and installing emergency, stand-by generator systems,
and uninterrupted power supply systems for computer and data systems.
Additionally, Collins Electric offers project design
and analysis, value engineering, accurate budget analysis, and
imaginative design and build services. We employ experienced estimators
and project managers, skilled foreman and highly qualified electricians,
and office support personnel.
We are the oldest and largest electrical contracting
and engineering firm in Western Massachusetts. We believe that the
Collins Electric team can ensure quality electrical installations
that will be delivered on time and within budget. Collins Electric
brings a wealth of industry experience with difficult projects that
had to be completed under compressed time frames, a broad understanding
of the construction market, and highly skilled people in all positions.
Our commitment to quality work and service at every
level and at every project size has built a reputation for reliability
and superior performance and value with a strong client base.
Take a look at some of our past projects.
The History of Collins Electric
For more than 110 years the Collins Electric Company
has been providing outstanding electrical services in Western Massachusetts
and the surrounding areas. The company was founded in 1906 by John
J. Collins, who had a degree in electrical engineering from St.
Francis College. The firm's earliest work was converting homes in
Springfield from gas light to electricity. In fact, material was
delivered to each jobsite by horse drawn wagon, and part of apprentices' duties was to shovel out the horse stall.
In 1911, John persuaded older brother Timothy to
join the firm and in 1919, William P. Collins joined and became the general manager.
In 1939, Collins Electric installed the first
fluorescent lighting system in the world at the Springfield
Armory. In fact, during World War II the company rewired most
of the Armory, which needed to modernize quickly for the war effort.
William P. Collins passed away in 1950, and it was
at that time that William A. and Donald, his two sons, came into
John J. Collins
Through the 1950's and 1960's, the company grew
and prospered and began to get involved in increasingly larger
and more demanding projects. Since that time, we have grown
to be a full service contractor, offering either design-build
or subcontracting services, depending on which method best
serves our client's needs.
From 1950-2015, William A. Collins' focus was to provide a level of high-quality, full-contractor services to meet our clients' satisfaction. A legacy that Joseph Collins and Larry Eagan, Co-Presidents (the fourth generation of the Collins family to run the firm) will continue to provide.
We credit our longevity to our commitment to
quality and the personal relationships that we build with
each of our valued customers.